1/16/11

A Letter To Emusic

So, I've been with eMusic for about 8 years, and due to some very recent changes I am no longer a member. This was the email I sent to their customer service support, thought I'd share it. Not really sure why I feel the need to. Maybe because I feel hurt...:

First off, I would like to say, if you are reading this, then I know, you can't really do anything. I understand, and I hope you have a good day, really. I get it. I had to say something to eMusic, as we've had such a long relationship. It's selfish, and I'm sorry, but I need closure.

Dear eMusic,

We've been together for a long time now, and I still want to be in love with you, but, I can't be treated like this anymore.

I've been feeling like this for a while now. But I've taken all your pricing changes and loved you regardless. Remember the old days? It was 8 years ago now. I paid a low monthly price for unlimited downloads. And I was so proud of us. I had just broken up with a girl who I loved, and you were my rebound. Anytime I wanted something to occupy my time I turned to you for cool indie music. I didn't care that I couldn't repurchase my Garth Brooks tapes digitally, because you offered me music that I might have never listened to. We discovered so much of it together. I was so in love with you. And I told everyone I knew about it. About our new relationship, and how good you were to me.

We had a long run where nothing was wrong, and I sometimes didn't spend as much time with you as I could have. Even when you changed my plan from unlimited downloads to a hundred per month, I could've been there for you more. So, maybe this is my fault in some way. I really wish you would have told me that you were hurt. I would have done anything to avoid this.

When the dark times came and you changed my plan from 100 to 50 and then to 25 I made excuses for your actions. You were still a better deal than itunes. And you still gave me access to music I had never heard, but I started to feel like you didn't care anymore. I couldn't help but feel your passion for me was gone.

Even at your worst I still had access to all the music I had ever downloaded, which was a lot. You had me there for the longest, and sometimes when our relationship was nothing but a routine I knew I couldn't leave you, because we still had that. You would remember all the times we had and honor them, by letting me redownload albums whenever and wherever I wanted.

Yesterday now, 15 January 2011, I bought Cake's 'Showroom of Compassion' and for some reason stumbled back on the album page where I read, "re-download album: $7.60". Then I knew we were done. I am sad about it, but you won't treat me like this anymore. You gained warner, and sony, but you lost me, honestrock. And I know you don't care. You'll have a lot of new friends, and they'll think you're cool. They'll tell you, "Hey eMusic, you finally have that Guns and Roses record I wanted to buy." But they won't understand the depth of what we had. To them you'll be maybe another itunes. To me you meant the world.

I'll Miss You.

Goodbye,
honestrock.

2 comments:

  1. Even after this, they still sell your music. What jolly good fellows!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is spot on. I too, a member since 1992, feel the saddening weight of emusic's slow descent into lame. I just discovered the "repurchase" button today - and that's gotta be the last straw. Weak. I'm so disappointed now.

    ReplyDelete